• 2nd annual "Friends of the Poor" 5K Walk/Run was held at Sertoma Park. This was a fun and successful event with participation from several local sponsors and many walkers/runners. All funds raised go directly back to the community to assist poor (with no administrations costs). $5,642 was raised to help our community.
• Assisted family with security deposit for new apartment. Mother recently lost work due to a difficult pregnancy, and father was injured on job, causing them to move to a less expensive home.
• Assisted with gasoline for needy family that just relocated and were staying with family until they saved enough for a deposit on an apartment.
• Received donated furniture from parishioners and delivered to help two families furnish their homes.
• Paid utility bills for multiple families facing shut off. Provided resources for assistance with Medicaid, fuel and housing assistance, etc.
• Purchased diapers and baby items for abused single mother that recently moved to the area. Provided resources for local food pantries, Abused Adult Resource Center, and other various programs.
• Paid water bill for family that was behind on bills, and had wage garnishments due to medical expenses. Provided resources for assistance with Medicaid, fuel and housing assistance, etc.
• Purchased steel toe work boots for a young man starting a new job; after moving out from the homeless shelter. Also provided a tank of gas to get to work.
• Assisted with rental deposit for a single mother of three children, who transitioned from a homeless shelter. Purchased a mattress, and furniture and clothing (donated by parishioners), was delivered to her new apartment.
• Provided moral support for family with financial setbacks due to illness. Assisted with groceries, and paid utiltiy bill.
• Members volunteered at a local event (5k Mud Run) sponsored by a parishioner.
Financial proceeds were donated to the Society , and also a mini food pantry was set up; from canned goods that were donated at the event. Delivered groceries to several needy families.
• Provided groceries for a mentally ill individual.
• Assisted a homeless family of 6 living in a hotel. Provided rent monies until housing assistance was approved. Provided care packages for all of the children (toiletries, clothing, and a toy.)
• Assisted mulitple families with utlities and rent, due to unforseen circumstances .
• Provided assistance for an immigrant family with rent and furniture.
• Assisted Mulitple families with rent, and groceries due to loss of work & medical expenses.
• Provided spiritual support, groceries & gas, and multiple resources to a family with a suicidal child.
• Assisted a homeless family, what for housing approval while living in a hotel. Purchased groceries and provided resources for food banks and free meals in the community.
• Assisted a single woman with rent, while in between jobs. Fixed a broken appliance at her home.
• Paid for utlities for a single mother who's hours were reduced due to cutbacks at her employment.
• Assisted 4 families with rent. Their montly budgets were compromised due to loss of work, medical expenses, and car repairs.
• Paid for gas for a woman to travel to visit her ill mother (within the state), prior to the mother's departure for terminal cancer treatment in another state.
• Collaborating efforts to assist an immigrant family in getting established in the community. (Furniture, clothing, transportation, housing, and employment.)
• Assisted 2 families with rent , as they were behind on bills due to injuries which resulted in a loss of work.
Provided assistance to multiple families for toys, clothes, and household items for Christmas gifts. Also assisted families with their utility bills.
• Our 2nd annual Thanksgiving basket project was a success. We delivered 100 Thanksgiving food baskets to needy families, and also to the families of Sr. Kathleen Atkinson's "Ministry on the Margins " program. The baskets were decorated by the art students of Cathedral school. Toys were also donated to deliver to families with children.
• Organized our first annual "Friends of the Poor" 5K Walk/Run. We had approximately 60 participants (along with our active members), who raised funds to assist our local poor. (On the main page, check out our local businesses who sponsored this event!)
Provided assistance to multiple families with rent , gas , and utlities.
Helpled a mother with 5 small children , who's husband had recently left. Provided back to school clothing, rental assistance, and filled car with gas, as she just started a new job. Provided addtional resources for rental and food assistance.
Provided assistance to single woman who just moved here from out of state and had established employment at a local nursing home. We helped with her deposit to secure housing.
Helpled a single mother who was recenlty ill , and missed 3 weeks of work. Provided rental assistance and back to school clothing for daughter.
Provided CAT bus transportation for a young man to get to school and work .
Provided assistance to a family for plumbing repairs.
July 2015 :
Helpled 3 single mothers with rent and deposits, due to transition prior to college, relocation due to work, and relocation due to an abusive relationship.
• Paid utilities for a disabled man on a very limited income, as he had encountered unforseen expenses this past month to repair his mobile home.
• Provided a bed frame, mattress and groceries to a family that just recently moved here from another country.
June 2015 :
• Purchased gasoline for a man (to get to his job) , as he was strapped with expenses since his family just arrived from another country. As an immigrant, he has been working here to support his family and recently his wife and 1 of his seven children was able to re- unite with him, in the U.S. Provided clothing and household items for his wife and daughter.
• Assisted with overdue rent and groceries for a young man with a disability, whose work schedule was interrupted due to medical appointments.
• Assisted with rent which was overdue for a man and his infant child , until he was able to get back on track with accumulated bills due to loss of work. Provided materials for daycare.
• Assisted 2 families (with children), with past due utility bills, due to to unforseen circumstances.
April 2015 :
• Purchased a new infant seat and dressers for a family of 5. Parents were both college students, with a new baby on the way, and 2 teenagers and a toddler. Also provided and helped to move donated furniture; (mattresses for older children, and a couch/love seat).
• Assisted with back rent which was overdue for a man residing at a local hotel, without other options for shelter.
• Provided donated furniture to a needy family.
March 2015 :
Helped a vicitim of abuse with 3 children ; to get a car seat for her infant.
• Helped a grandmother (who cares for her 3 grandchildren), who recently had a stroke. Purchased lunch tickets, a phone card, and assisted with clothing and transportation to rehab.
Feb 2015 :
• Helped a single mother and her family, by moving donated furniture into a new apartment.
• On numerous occasions, helped with gas and food expenses for needy families.
• Paid a rental deposit for a single mother of four children, when relocating to a new apartment on a college campus.
• Purchased 2 mattress sets for a family of 5, with minimal furniture and sleeping accomodations.
• Provided househould items, blankets, and clothing to a needy family. All items were donated by parish members.
• Provided rental assistance for several families who recently moved to the area for new employment, until their first paychecks were received to get them on track with rental and living expenses.
• Rental assistance to a family with 5 children (2 with health issues), where the parent had recently lost employment and was in the process of training for a new job.
• Rental assistance to a single mother of 2 boys, (1 autistic), who's husband had recently passed away. Provided warm clothing/coats for the boys.
• On numerous occasions, helped with utilies and rent, and provided donated or purchased Christmas gifts and/or household items for needy families.
• Rental deposit assistance to a single female who was starting out again after getting out of an abusive realtionship.
• Helped to pay utilities expense for 2 families living in a small house. Provided comforters/bedding for warmth during the cold months.
• Through the generosity of an anonymous donor, and a local business, we delivered 100 Thanksgiving turkeys and food baskets to needy families. The baskets included homemade cards from the students of Cathedral school, and donated toys for families with children.
• Helped a family of four with sleeping bags for a warmer night's sleep.
• Worked with a local agency to provide dental care for a family
• Donated two mattresses, a couch, love seat and table/chairs to a single female who recently moved into her own apartment.
• Worked with a local agency to assist a young lady get her GED.
• Paid half of the rent for two sisters. One had recently had a serious medical condition and the other had lost her job; their savings was depleted.
• Provided one nights rent for a gentleman.
• Assisted with rent for an abandoned mother and child; until she was able to find a roommate to share housing expenses.
• Provided donated household items (from parishioners); to a father and his two sons who recently moved into an apartment after several months of being homeless.
• Provided work boots & socks, and a bicycle for transportation to a newly employed young man who was transitioning from the Ruth Meiers house.
• Provided gas expenses for several people to get to work, medical appointments, family emergencies, etc.
• Provided resources for local food pantries, hot meals, and fresh vegetables (donated by our local parishes), to those in need.